This incredible banana bread recipe was given to me by my friend Aparna (Thanks Aparna!). I love this recipe because there is very minimal clean up. Just one wooden spoon and one mixing bowl. I played with it a little every time I made it so I’ve decided to consolidate all the changes and post the new recipe here. Nuts and chocolate chips were added to previous versions of this recipe but I found that they were distracting to the fluffy texture – the key feature here.
- 4 large very ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup oil (canola/avocado)
- ⅝ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups cake flour (essential for the pillow-soft texture)
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon powder)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. With a wooden spoon, mash bananas in a large mixing bowl. I like to leave some chunks.
3. Mix in the oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
4. Sprinkle the baking soda, salt and apple pie spice over the mixture and mix in.
5. Add the flour last, stir till just moisten.
6. Pour mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for about 30 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. (Note: Bake for 30 minutes if using muffin tin. Makes 12 muffins).